How to Pray For Missionaries
2 Thessalonians 3:1-2
While all followers of Christ have a missionary call on their lives, that is, to take Christ to others, not all of us are called to specific people nor to specific countries in order to fulfill that missionary call. The seemingly extreme cases where certain people are directed by God who has unique plans for those He chooses to move overseas in order to share the Gospel is when the term missionary is commonly employed. Let’s look at how to pray for these missionaries so that they may be able to carry out God’s Will more effectively.
1. Know Name - “Praying for all the missionaries across the world is a great idea. However, we want our prayers to flow from a little more connection, a little more passion, than a general mentioning. This is why you should start with the missionaries name.”
2. Know Ministry - “Connect with a few missionaries whom you feel a similar passion with. Most missionaries have an e-mail or a newsletter which will keep you informed and give you specific prayer opportunities. Don’t start with fifty, start by finding one or two, and go from there.”
3. Know Mission - “As a result from connecting with their ministry, you will also get to know the mission. This will give you ideas on what to pray for. A missionary to the middle east will need some different prayer than a missionary to south America. Also, a missionary to a region open to Christianity will need different prayer than someone going to a country closed to Christianity. Last of all, a media missionary will have different needs than a missionary establishing a clean water supply.”
1. P PROTECTION - “While some missionaries move into hostile environments, and others not so much, it is still good practice to pray for God to protect them and their families. Not all harm comes in the form of physical assault. Praying for protection includes asking God to protect their health, their minds, their hearts, and their emotions.”
2. P PROVISION - “Missionaries usually give up everything they have in order to go follow God’s desire for their life. Normally, missionaries will go for months or even years without seeing family or friends from their home. In addition to praying for friendships, relationships, opportunities, and workers to join their cause are all included in God’s provision” “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose”
3. P POWER - “A missionary will be ineffective without God’s power. Asking God to give the missionary his Holy Spirit to confirm their message with signs and wonders, wisdom and power, is essential for their task. Requesting God to supply them with the power of his Holy Spirit to overcome all obstacles, physical and spiritual, will help their ministry move forward effectively.”
1. EPM Effective Prayer for Missionaries - “I would like to share with you one way to effectively pray for the missionaries that our church helps to support. Some people will sit with their prayer journal and go through the list they have made, praying these bullet points for missionaries. Other temperaments and personalities will not be able to do that. Here is an example on how to pray for missionaries as a family.” 1. Obtain a card of the missionary and place it in a bowl, or a hat, or a clean sock.
2. Attach additional information to their card concerning their work. Remember Name, ministry, mission, protection, provision, and power. (news letters & e-mails)
3. At dinner time, before eating draw a card, then take that time to pray for the chosen missionary. Your kids can draw the cards, and this can make the practice of praying for missionaries a little bit more fun, spontaneous, and random. This is just one idea to help you with putting prayer for missionaries into practice in your personal life. There is no right or wrong way, but knowing their name, ministry, mission, and praying for their protection, provision, and power will give you a solid base for effective prayer for the benefit of our missionaries. Matthew 24:14